Friday, May 15, 2009

Renaming and Resisting

Which four young men are singled out in Daniel 1:6-7?
The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrack; to Mishael;and to Azariah, Abednego.
Daniel 1:7
What's in a name?
As a mother to msc (many small children) picking names is one of the hardest things to do.
With our youngest it took us nearly 2 days to finally come to a decision that we both loved. I will admit that sentimental value had a far bigger priority than the actually meaning. I guess next tima around I will put more time into seaching for the meanings...

Daniel means "God is my judge"
Hananiah means "Yah has been gracious."
Mishael means, "Who is what God is?"
Azariah means "Yah has helped."

Their new names had meaning too.
Daniel becomes Belteshazzar (Bel will protect)
Hananiah becomes Shadrack (inspired of Aku)
Mishael becomes Meshack (belonging to Aku)
Azariah becomes Abednego (servent of Nego)
*Bel, Nego and Aku were false gods of the Babylonians*

One interesting point that I saw in the homework was that changing a name the intention was to change the entire identity of the bearer until the life matched the title. God originated the concept when he changed Abram's name to Abraham. The world system with the enemy at its help could not resist offering its own counterfeits to serve its own idols.
..the world can call me what it wants, but it cannot change who I am.
I am Gods!!

No comments:

Post a Comment